I don't usually post recipes, but I found this recipe on allrecipe.com and let me tell you, it is about the best ham and potato soup I have ever tasted.
Not only is it really yummy, but it is fast and easy to make. I made a batch other day and we nearly woofed down the entire pot.
PREP TIME 20 Min
COOK TIME 25 Min
READY IN 45 Min
* 3 1/2 cups peeled and diced potatoes
* 1/3 cup diced celery
* 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
* 3/4 cup diced cooked ham
* 3 1/4 cups water
* 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
* 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
* 1 teaspoon ground white or black pepper, or to taste
* 5 tablespoons butter
* 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 2 cups milk
1. Combine the potatoes, celery, onion, ham and water in a stockpot. Bring to a boil, then cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in the chicken bouillon, salt and pepper.
2. In a separate saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour with a fork, and cook, stirring constantly until thick, about 1 minute. Slowly stir in milk as not to allow lumps to form until all of the milk has been added. Continue stirring over medium-low heat until thick, 4 to 5 minutes.
3. Stir the milk mixture into the stockpot, and cook soup until heated through. Serve immediately.
**My notes: I sauteed the onions and celery for a few minutes in a little bit of oil before adding the water and potatoes. I also used 3 bouillon cubes instead of the granules and I added the cubes with the water. I also omitted the salt as the bouillon cubes make it plenty salty.
PHOTO BY: cookin'mama